Re: JDBC driver reports a protocol error for a CVS HEAD server

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: "Ned T(dot) Crigler" <crigler(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JDBC driver reports a protocol error for a CVS HEAD server
Date: 2007-04-24 23:23:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007, Ned T. Crigler wrote:

> The JDBC driver does not connect successfully to a CVS HEAD server
> (updated as of today) when using a database set to UTF8 encoding;
> enabling the debug messages in the driver shows that it is sending
> client_encoding=UNICODE in the startup packet, but the server is
> reporting client_encoding=UTF8 back to the driver, causing the driver
> to complain:

Indeed, referring to -hackers as this is a recent backend change. The
backend is reporting the database encoding as the client encoding. When a
connection is created with a startup packet sending client_encoding =
UNICODE the server responds with a ParameterStatus message of
client_encoding = server encoding. So something has gone wrong here.
It's not just a UNICODE/UTF-8 problem as I see the server responding with
LATIN1 with a LATIN1 database.

Kris Jurka