Re: BUG #2856: Jdbc 4 connector running on JDK 1.6 should

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Steve Langridge <steve(at)vanrhynsdorp(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2856: Jdbc 4 connector running on JDK 1.6 should
Date: 2007-01-04 16:37:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-jdbc

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006, Steve Langridge wrote:

> Bug reference: 2856
> PostgreSQL version: 8.2
> exception for getClientInfo/setClientInfo
> Details:
>
> When using the Jdbc 4 driver running on Java 1.6, it would be preferable if
> the methods getClientInfo() and setClientInfo() returned silently, instead
> of raising an exception about not being implemented. When running on
> Glassfish with Toplink Essentials, the app server log gets filled with these
> exceptions for every access from a JDBC connection pool (when using the
> PGConnectionPoolDataSource).

I'm not sure it's legal to simply ignore the fact that the method is not
implemented. I think at minimum we'd need to keep the client info data in
the Connection object even if we don't send it to the database. This
would make it look like it was working to the JVM there just wouldn't be a
way to get at it on the database side.

Kris Jurka