Re: Support for named parameters in the PostgreSQL JDBC driver

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Ravi Periasamy <rperiasamy(at)aol(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org,jdb_switcher_dev <jdb_switcher_dev(at)LISTSERV(dot)SUP(dot)AOL(dot)COM>
Subject: Re: Support for named parameters in the PostgreSQL JDBC driver
Date: 2006-11-16 17:52:52
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Ravi Periasamy wrote:

> Dear PGSQL-JDBC Team,
>
> Could you please let me know if the support for "Named Parameters" in the
> JDBC driver is slated for some future release?

Just recently I noticed an overlooked patch that implements this:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2006-07/msg00011.php

The suggested patch isn't quite right, but its approach can work in many
cases.  If functions are not overloaded then a simple lookup of parameter
names by the function name would work.  If the function is overloaded we
might be able to use the parameter type given by setXXX to try and
determine what function we're actually calling, but it's probably better
to just error out in that case.

Kris Jurka