Re: confused about transactions and connection pools

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: David Goodenough <david(dot)goodenough(at)btconnect(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: confused about transactions and connection pools
Date: 2006-10-30 18:40:14
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, David Goodenough wrote:

> The we get to the second time through the servlet. First thing - no BEGIN
> or ROLLBACK, but the code went through a call to connection.setAutoCommit(
> false). Secondly this odd statement that I do not recognise id no longer
> there.

For each connection the statements BEGIN, ROLLBACK, and COMMIT are only
prepared once and after that they are executed again and again. This can
be very confusing when looking at the logs which only show the preparation
step, but not execution. So even though you can't see them, they're being
executed. The 8.2 release will be the first release that can accurately
log this usage pattern.

Kris Jurka