Re: Using ON_ERROR_ROLLBACK functionality in JDBC

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Mark Lewis <mark(dot)lewis(at)mir3(dot)com>
Cc: "Koth, Christian \(DWBI\)" <Christian(dot)Koth(at)smiths-heimann(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using ON_ERROR_ROLLBACK functionality in JDBC
Date: 2006-07-28 16:23:56
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006, Mark Lewis wrote:

> Does the current savepoint implementation in the driver require a
> separate round-trip?

Yes.  Creating, rolling back to, or releasing a savepoint each currently
make a server round-trip.  If you're suggesting queueing these up so that
it sends these with queries instead of alone, I think that's something the
driver could do if it was creating savepoints itself, but would be tougher
to do for user savepoints.  For user savepoints I think you need to get
feedback to the caller immediately upon command execution rather than with
a later query.  Consider something like trying to release an invalid
savepoint.  You need to tell the user immediately.

Kris Jurka