Re: add additional options to CREATE TABLE ... AS

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: add additional options to CREATE TABLE ... AS
Date: 2006-02-14 22:30:36
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> I kinda wonder why bother at all.  I don't see any good reason why
> people shouldn't issue two statements.

Well if you don't know what the resulting columns are going to be that
could be difficult.  There are a number of reasons why this patch is an
improvement.

1) People have requested this feature:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2005-11/msg00163.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2004-03/msg00186.php

2) The SQL spec requires ON COMMIT for CREATE TEMP TABLE AS SELECT.

3) The unification of EXECUTE and SELECT options actually simplifies the
grammar by removing the WithOidsAs production hack.

Kris Jurka