Re: <IDLE> in transaction

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Junaili Lie <junaili(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: <IDLE> in transaction
Date: 2005-08-19 03:00:44
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Junaili Lie wrote:

> We have applications that sits on top of Java application server. Our
> code is written in Java, sitting on top of Jboss with Hibernate, and
> we use JDBC driver pg74.215.jdbc2ee.jar. We have observed a number of
> <IDLE> in transaction on pg_stat_activity.

This is an issue with the 7.4 JDBC driver. It issues BEGIN statements
prior to any commands being issued, so the connection is always in an open
transaction even if it hasn't done anything. The 8.0 driver (which may be
used against a 7.4 server) should fix this issue.

Elein, who replied as well, has been seeing another issue where the idle
transaction holds some locks blocking other connections. This points to a
problem in either hibernate or the application code, but the first step to
solving it is definitely moving away from the 7.4 driver.

Kris Jurka