shared description table.

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: shared description table.
Date: 2005-12-14 21:58:48
Lists: pgsql-patches
I've created a new shared catalog table pg_shdescription to store comments
on cluster global objects like databases, tablespaces, and roles.

It touches a lot of places, but not much in the way of big changes.  The
only design decision I made was to duplicate the query and manipulation
functions rather than to try and have them handle both shared and local
comments.  I believe this is simpler for the code and not an issue for
callers because they know what type of object they are dealing with.  This
has resulted in a shobj_description function analagous to obj_description
and backend functions [Create/Delete]SharedComments mirroring the existing
[Create/Delete]Comments functions.

pg_shdescription.h goes into src/include/catalog/

Kris Jurka

pgsql-patches by date

Next:From: Pierre GirardDate: 2005-12-15 20:56:27