Re: Bug report: wrong size/scale reported by DatabaseMetaData

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Thomas Okken <thomas_okken(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug report: wrong size/scale reported by DatabaseMetaData
Date: 2005-12-04 20:31:07
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005, Thomas Okken wrote:

> The DatabaseMetaData and ResultSetMetaData report incorrect sizes/scales for
> several column types. I noticed this with interval, time, timetz, timestamp,
> timestamptz, and varchar columns.
> I have attached a program that illustrates the problem; below this message I
> pasted the output generated by running the program on my machine, and
> comparing it to the column details returned by the \d command in psql.

Thanks for the complete test case.  I've fixed this in CVS by unifying the
type info calculations between the two metadata classes.  I've put up some
new jar files here:

http://www.ejurka.com/pgsql/jars/to

I've applied a more limited cleanup to 8.0 and 8.1 that addresses some,
but not all of these issues, notably the internal type size is still
returned from DatabaseMetaData.  The 8.2dev cleanup also involved some
other calculation changes that I'm not sure are wise to backport.

Kris Jurka