Re: Driver does not report all catalogs

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Martin Keller <martin(dot)keller(at)unitedplanet(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Driver does not report all catalogs
Date: 2005-11-30 10:03:33
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Martin Keller wrote:

> Yes, we are using the names for building connection urls and so far you are
> right, that this is a database dependent task. There is some user interaction
> neccessary, if user credentials differ. Our code related to this works for
> years now and most parts of it are portable, some are not.
> I understand and respect your opinion but you should consider, that changing
> driver behaviour this way is a dangerous thing. It does not meet the spec
> (the spec only says, what DatabaseMetaData.getCatalogs() has to do, but not,
> that this is dependent on the behavior of any other method) and breaks
> existing code.

Keeping this on list is where you are likely to find friends in this
discussion. I'd certainly like to hear from any other dissenting or
concurring opinions. Perhaps citing the list of other databases that
implement getCatalogs as you'd like would be useful. Also noting their
stance on setCatalog and metadata would help.

Naturally the Javadoc you refer to is vague, it states, "Retrieves
the catalog names available in this database." Now clearly my question is
available to what? My answer is to call setCatalog or query metadata.

Kris Jurka