Re: Driver does not report all catalogs

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Martin Keller <martin(dot)keller(at)unitedplanet(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Driver does not report all catalogs
Date: 2005-11-30 08:45:59
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Martin Keller wrote:

> We use this to show the list of available databases to the users. I know,
> that this list can be retrieved with a select on pg_database, but our
> application runs with various database systems and we try to avoid database
> specific code. The issues with some of the metadata methods and
> Connection.setCatalog don't affect the rest of our code, because the
> connections are dedicated to each used database.

If you don't setCatalog or use metadata, what do you do with the
database names once you've got them?  Put it in a connection url?
Clearly this is a database dependent task.  How do you do a login before
getting the list of databases?  How do you know the given user can connect
to the given database?

This list of problems shows why I don't think it's a real good idea to
advertise the list of databases.  Now I did make this change relatively
recently on a nearly two year old discussion, so I'm certainly willing to
reopen it, but you can see which side I'm leaning towards.

Kris Jurka