Re: getTables() not working for information_schema or pg_catalog

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: getTables() not working for information_schema or pg_catalog
Date: 2005-11-25 22:42:58
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005, Thomas Kellerer wrote:

> con.getMetaData().getTables(null, "information_schema", "%", null);
>
> (where con is a java.sql.Connection), I would assume to get all tables that
> are stored in the information_schema, but the returned ResultSet is empty
> (next() immediately returns false).
>
> The same is true when I call it with "pg_catalog"
> Passing null for the table name does not make a difference.

The usage of null as the last parameter for table types makes the driver
return only the default table types, not all of getTableTypes().  Things
like "SYSTEM TABLE" are not included in the default list so this is why
you get nothing from information_schema and pg_catalog.  Re-reading the
javadoc, it says "types - a list of table types to include; null returns
all types".  So clearly we're in violation of that.  Will look at a fix.

Kris Jurka