Re: Timestamp Conversion Woes Redux

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: Christian Cryder <c(dot)s(dot)cryder(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Timestamp Conversion Woes Redux
Date: 2005-07-20 16:29:33
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Oliver Jowett wrote:

> Kris Jurka wrote:
>
> > ! { "TimeZone", java.util.TimeZone.getDefault().getID()}
>
> Ew! How much existing code is that going to break?

Very little. Currently everything works if the client and server are in
the same timezone which is 99% of the time. This just ensures that the
client and server agree on what timezone to use for the remaining 1% which
are already broken. Problems arise when the server and JDK don't have the
same set of timezones, which will happen, but not often. We could easily
add a URL parameter to bail people out of here though.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2004-12/msg00139.php

Kris Jurka