Re: Batch updates and inserts

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Igor Postelnik <Igor_Postelnik(at)messageone(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Batch updates and inserts
Date: 2005-05-09 17:52:39
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, 9 May 2005, Igor Postelnik wrote:

> What combination of JDBC driver and backend do I need to have support
> for addBatch/executeBatch? What's a reasonable limit for number of
> statements in a batch - either by number of rows or total size?

Batch statements have been available in the driver for some time, but the
8.0 driver is the first driver to actually perform them in a batch
fashion. It requires at least a 7.4 server to take advantage of this.
Size doesn't really matter because the driver itself will internally run
things in batches of 256 statements at a time.

Kris Jurka