Re: [postgis-devel] JDBC & WKB - 400% overhead

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Markus Schaber <schabios(at)logi-track(dot)com>
Cc: PostGIS Development Discussion <postgis-devel(at)postgis(dot)refractions(dot)net>,"pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>,David Blasby <dblasby(at)openplans(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [postgis-devel] JDBC & WKB - 400% overhead
Date: 2005-02-24 10:02:34
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Markus Schaber wrote:

> Oh, I thought that binary transmit was implemented in 8.0 :-(

Binary transmission was done for sending bytea data, which was a big win,
but that's something we can do because we know we're sending binary data.

> As there are at least plans to use caching of prepared statements, it
> also should be possible to cache this information together with the
> prepared statement. This would reduce the number of roundtrips.

That's true, this information could be received on the first query or say
a PreparedStatement.getMetaData() call.  This would definitely be a
simpler thing to do, but still 8.1 material I think.

Kris Jurka