Re: Implementing RESET CONNECTION ...

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>, eg(at)cybertec(dot)at,List pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Implementing RESET CONNECTION ...
Date: 2005-01-04 10:53:51
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, [ISO-8859-1] Hans-Jrgen Schnig wrote:

> I completely agree with Karel. I think it is a bad idea to change the
> protocol for such a minor feature - i tend to call it overkill.

I agree.  I don't think it's imperative to prevent or detect this
condition.  The only real caller of this should be the driver itself.  If
the end user does call this and breaks things I wouldn't consider it our
problem.  Making this available at the protocol level only would certainly
solve that, but it's not really compelling to make a protocol level jump.

> I want to add one point to this discussion: There is not just JDBC -
> other connection pools or clients might want different behaviour (which
> can from my point of view only lead to a complete reset).

Right, I am speaking from the JDBC driver perspective, but I think any
higher level interface should desire to do statement pooling, which will
have this problem.  You have not stated what client interface you are
targetting, but I believe anything written to a higher level than libpq
will need to be aware of this.  Perhaps -patches isn't the right place to
solicit input for this.

Kris Jurka