Re: PostgreSQL + SSL - sun.security.validator.ValidatorException

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Andrew M <andrew(at)jibeya(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL + SSL - sun.security.validator.ValidatorException
Date: 2004-12-11 01:22:21
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Andrew M wrote:

> last and final questions with all this. One the server side postgreSQL
> expects the following docs in the /data folder:
>
> 1. server.crt, server.key, root.crt, root.key
>
> Now for the for handshaking to be successful with the root docs in the
> /data folder, postgresql expects the client to return a certificate. So
> my question is:
>
> Where is postgresql expecting the certificate to come from, and what
> format does the certificate take (in terms of postgresql knowing that
> the client is a valid one)?

Currently the JDBC driver does not implement this functionality.  The only
documention on this at all is for libpq here:

http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/libpq-ssl.html

It uses specific files relative to the user's $HOME directory.  I don't
think this translates well into Java and I'm unsure what code would be
needed on the driver side to set this up.  It would be great if someone
more Java+SSL knowledgeable could point us in the right direction here.

Kris Jurka