Re: Avoiding explicit addDataType calls for PostGIS

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: Markus Schaber <schabios(at)logi-track(dot)com>,pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Avoiding explicit addDataType calls for PostGIS
Date: 2004-11-08 09:54:39
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-jdbc

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Oliver Jowett wrote:

> Kris Jurka wrote:
>
> > Let me be more clear.  I like the properties file method for configuring
> > external libraries (postgis), but I don't like it for configuring the
> > driver itself.  Specifically consider your addition of prepareThreshold=5,
> > suppose I wanted to override this setting with my own properties file.
> > Then I'd have to be real careful about how I setup my classpath.
>
> Ah, ok.
>
> Currently, if someone wants to change a default, they have to either
> modify the driver source and recompile, or remember to override the
> built-in default in every single URL ever used.
>
> If the default is stored in a properties file packaged with the driver,
> they can tweak the default by editing that properties file, which seems
> much easier.

We're getting closer to understanding each other.  I've just committed
a version of this patch that reads all available
org.postgresql.driverconfig.properties files and uses them to set any
defaults.  My whole point is that I did not want to put a
driverconfig.properties file in postgresql.jar because we don't need to
and it will only create potential problems.

Kris Jurka