Re: 8.0.0beta4: "copy" and "client_encoding"

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Markus Schaber <schabios(at)logi-track(dot)com>
Cc: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, mbch67(at)yahoo(dot)com
Subject: Re: 8.0.0beta4: "copy" and "client_encoding"
Date: 2004-11-05 20:27:51
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Markus Schaber wrote:

> I think you're right. Except COPY from STDIN, client encoding should be
> independent from COPY encoding. So I suggest that Adrian requests
> backend support for this.

Well that's not going to get in for 8.0, so we'll need to do something
especially since the driver is supposed to offer backward compatibility.
>From my perspective we've got three options, just drop the check, Oliver's
add a URL parameter to turn off the check, or add an API so that they
don't issue the COPY command directly, but something like
issueServerCopy(table, file, encoding) where the driver could turn off the
check, switch the encoding, do the copy, switch the encoding back, and
turn on the check.

I think the third option is too much work at the moment, when we do offer
a copy API in the driver we could fold that in, but not now. As to the
first two options, I don't really care. Either is fine with me, so since
Oliver seems to like a URL parameter, that's what we'll probably go with.

Kris Jurka