Re: multiple out parameters implementation

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: multiple out parameters implementation
Date: 2004-09-16 09:00:45
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Dave Cramer wrote:

> I've managed to hack into the jdbc driver the capability for multiple
> out parameters from a postgresql function.
>
> I would like to query the list as to their thoughts, is this a useful
> feature for the driver ?

This is a useful feature because it's currently the only way to port
certain things, but it's clearly not very straightforward and it causes
some non trivial thinking on the parts of the database and Java developers
to get their code to match up.

Until just today I was in favor of this as we don't have any other options
or any hope for a real procedure interface in the near future, but today
on -hackers Gavin Sherry and Neil Conway indicated that they have a
proposal for implementing this feature in the backend. I'd say lets take
a look at the proposal and if we believe they've got a decent shot at
getting this in 8.1 then we hold off on this hack. The method you
proposed is pretty complicated and would introduce a pretty bad backwards
compatibility problem.

Kris Jurka