Re: jdbc 8 blob not implemented?

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: aditya Kulkarni <adityapk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: jdbc 8 blob not implemented?
Date: 2004-09-15 22:52:49
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, aditya Kulkarni wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I downloaded the pgjdbc 8.0 driver, and when i tried using the
> getBlob() on a result set, it throws a NotImplemented Exception

Just calling getBlob gives the exception? I don't see what code path that
could be coming from, what's the whole stacktrace?

> I looked at the code, and it looks like none of the functionality has
> been implemented. Is this a server limitation or such thing, or is it
> work that just needs to be done?

I believe the reading methods have been implements while the writing
and positioning methods have not. The writing methods seem easy to
implement, but the positioning methods seem like they would require
server support to be efficient.

> The real problem is that i can't use the LargeObject API for Blob's,
> only bytea. I understand that i can use a getBinaryStream on a result
> set, but i want to know what the problem with getBlob is

bytea really isn't a LOB type, it doesn't have any real support for
partial reads, writes, streaming or the normal LOB like things.

Kris Jurka