Re: BUG #1251: setTransactionIsolation does not seem to work

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Fernando Bellas <fbellas(at)udc(dot)es>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1251: setTransactionIsolation does not seem to work
Date: 2004-09-13 10:53:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Bug reference: 1251
> PostgreSQL version: 7.4.3
>
> First of all, the version I am using of PostgreSQL is 7.4.5, and *not* 7.4.3
> (I have set 7.4.3 in the form, since it does not allow to choose 7.4.5).
>
> I have tested several JDBC drivers (pg74.213.jdbc3.jar, pg74.215.jdbc3.jar,
> pg74.213.jdbc2.jar and pg74.213.jdbc2ee.jar), and
> connection.setTransactionIsolation does not change the transaction isolation
> level (maybe the problem is with the database and not with the JDBC driver).
>
> connection.setAutoCommit(false);
> connection.setTransactionIsolation(Connection.TRANSACTION_SERIALIZABLE);

By calling setAutoCommit(false) you are beginning a transaction and you
may not change the isolation level once a transaction has begun. You
should move the isolation level calls before the auto commit setting.

The 8.0 driver does not suffer this problem because it does not begin a
transaction immediately upon the auto commit call, but waits for a real
query. Then when setTransactionIsolation is called it will either work
correctly or issue an error stating that you are in a transaction. The
8.0 driver can be used against earlier servers if you'd like.

Kris Jurka