Re: Wrong column names in ResultSetMetaData

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: Mike Martin <mmartin(at)vieo(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wrong column names in ResultSetMetaData
Date: 2004-08-03 00:31:20
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Oliver Jowett wrote:

> RSMD.getColumnLabel() returns the column alias, or maybe something
> like the column's comment (can you COMMENT ON columns?) later.

This is my major beef with the argument, what do you do for
getColumnLabel? Returning the column's comment (which you can do) isn't
the right thing either. I've got comments running to paragraph length
describing some of the more obscure columns in my databases. No other
driver in Mike's list showed an implementation of this different from
getColumnName, so what's the point? The spec authors must have had some
existing implementation to inspire this feature. The argument that
getColumnLabel and getColumnName should do the exact same thing just seems
wrong to me.

Kris Jurka