Re: 7.5dev assertion failure w/ v3 protocol and transactions

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.5dev assertion failure w/ v3 protocol and transactions
Date: 2004-07-29 22:05:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> This appears to be here:
>
> ereport(PANIC,
> (errcode_for_file_access(),
> errmsg("could not open control file \"%s\": %m",
> ControlFilePath)));
>
> but it's difficult to go any further without knowing the errno.
> I certainly can't think of any good reason why the recovery process
> should be unable to open pg_control. Do you have the postmaster log?

Nothing shows up in the log. The test suite continues running, pounding
the restarting database with connections so I see:

LOG: statement: BEGIN
LOG: statement: select 1/0
ERROR: division by zero
LOG: statement: COMMIT
TRAP: FailedAssertion("!(portal->resowner == ((void *)0))", File:
"portalmem.c", Line: 561)
LOG: server process (PID 7270) was terminated by signal 6
LOG: terminating any other active server processes
LOG: background writer process (PID 7103) exited with exit code 1
LOG: all server processes terminated; reinitializing
LOG: database system was interrupted at 2004-07-29 14:59:58 PDT
LOG: checkpoint record is at 0/A471F8
LOG: redo record is at 0/A471F8; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
LOG: next transaction ID: 492; next OID: 17228
LOG: database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in
progress
FATAL: the database system is starting up
FATAL: the database system is starting up

.. many more starting up messages

FATAL: the database system is starting up
FATAL: the database system is starting up
LOG: redo starts at 0/A47238
LOG: record with zero length at 0/D3599C
LOG: redo done at 0/D3594C
FATAL: the database system is starting up
FATAL: the database system is starting up

.. many more starting up messages

FATAL: the database system is starting up
FATAL: the database system is starting up
LOG: database system is ready