Re: JDBC connection issue

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Blaine Simpson <blaine(dot)simpson(at)admc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JDBC connection issue
Date: 2004-07-21 22:14:11
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Blaine Simpson wrote:

> Use "md5" instead of "trust".  Besides trust having all sorts of
> problems to do with ident daemons, I don't even know if the JDBC driver
> will work with ident, since JDBC network drivers generally pass a
> username and password.

"trust" has nothing to do with "ident" authentication, trust does not do
any authentication at all and just lets you in.  Using ident
authentication can be a little tricky with JDBC simply because it uses
tcp/ip to connect as opposed to unix sockets.  On the server side these
use different code paths for ident authentication with unix sockets
requiring kernel support for passing user information and tcp/ip sockets
requiring an ident server.

In any case the JDBC driver works fine with both trust and ident
authentication, as far as I know the only authentication method that are
unsupported by the JDBC driver is kerberos.

Kris Jurka