Re: Forcing use of cursor for large result sets

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: "Brian G(dot) Huber" <brianghuber(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Forcing use of cursor for large result sets
Date: 2004-06-07 07:50:21
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004, Brian G. Huber wrote:

> Hello all -
>
> I am attempting to force the use of a cursor for a resultset. I have
> tried both forward-only and scrollable statements and am setting fetch
> size to 100 with a call to setFechSize(100) on the statement. However,
> I do not think a cursor is being used because the entire result set is
> trying to cache, resulting in an outofMemoryError. I am using
> pg74.213.jdbc3.jar with 7.4.2.

Two additional restrictions in the current driver are that you must be in
a transaction by setting setAutoCommit(false) and that the query in
question be a single sql statement. The single statement test is a bit
naive, so a semi-colon in the query string will make it think it is a
multi-statement query.

Kris Jurka