Re: patch for getUDT

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: patch for getUDT
Date: 2004-05-18 00:20:27
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, 17 May 2004, Dave Cramer wrote:

> While we don't support JAVA_OBJECT we do support struct, and distinct.

After doing some more reading I would agree that domains == distinct and
complext types == struct, if that's what you're suggesting.  The patch
shows no signs of this though, it just blindly selects everything out of
pg_type.

To be worthy of applying it seems this patch should:

1) Only return domains and complex types, correctly setting data_type and
base_type for domains.

2) Use pg_description to retrieve a comment for the remarks column.

3) Filter out toast entries by checking pg_namespace.nspname != 'pg_toast'
instead of using a like expression on type name.

4) Use the escapeQuotes function to ensure that the schema and type
patterns don't have single quotes in them.

5) Use the types[] parameter to filter out undesired data_type values.

6) Use ORDER BY to return the results in the order the spec says.

7) Use createMetaDataStatement() instead of createStatement() when
returning the query results.  This makes the produced ResultSet scrollable
instead of the default forward only behavior.

I would personally like to see a version of this that ran on a 7.2 server
because the regression tests currently pass against a 7.2 server.  It
isn't within our stated goals of supporting the past two versions of the
driver, but I think it's a reasonable thing to do.

Kris Jurka