Re: bytea size limit?

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Michael Privat <michael(at)ceci(dot)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>, "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: bytea size limit?
Date: 2004-04-13 02:44:04
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Michael Privat wrote:

> As far as the encoding. I think in your original email you had
> mentioned that the driver used UTF-8 (in which case there is an
> obvious optimization that can be made), but I couldn't find it in the
> driver. Everything looked like it was inheriting from the encoding
> scheme set in the connection.

The driver's internal encoding (the client_encoding GUC) is unicode for
all 7.3+ databases, but not necessarily for 7.2 and before. The 7.3
release was the first that came with multibyte support compiled by default
and before that time the charSet URL parameter was relied upon to
determine the correct database encoding.

Kris Jurka