Re: Buglist

From: Edmund Dengler <edmundd(at)eSentire(dot)com>
To: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Buglist
Date: 2003-08-21 20:42:24
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

What I am pointing out is that this is all the same issue, and that
solutions to the "we can't do priorities because of locking issues" have
existed for many years. I/O is the same as processors, it is a resource
that needs managing. So the intelligence can be made to exist, it just
needs to be made.

Now onto other questions: can vacuuming be done without locks? Can it be
done in parts (ie, lock only a bit)? Can the I/O be better managed? Is
this a general model that would work well?

I have plenty of queries that I would love to run on a "as the system
allows" basis, or on a "keep a bit of spare cycles or I/O for the
important stuff", but which I cannot specify. So a vote from me for any
mechanism that allows priorities to be specified. If this is a desired
feature, then comes the hard part of what is feasible, what can be done in
a reasonable amount of time, and of doing it.

Regards!
Ed