Re: Appending values non-destructively

From: "Joshua b(dot) Jore" <josh(at)greentechnologist(dot)org>
To: Andre Dubuc <aajdubuc(at)webhart(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Appending values non-destructively
Date: 2002-05-08 14:08:19
Lists: pgsql-novice

Well sure you can do that but there isn't anything special about a
delimiter. In general the value is atomic and there isn't anything smaller
than it. You could probably use a CASE expression to append new data to
the value or start the value. It almost sounds like you might want to
check out the array type and work with *that* instead since that at least
is an atomic collection of values. This isn't a case of being destructive,
you just have to include the previous value in the new value you write.
That's just standard stuff.

Joshua b. Jore
http://www.greentechnologist.org