Re: Approximate string matching?

From: "Joshua b(dot) Jore" <josh(at)greentechnologist(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Approximate string matching?
Date: 2002-03-20 23:07:51
Lists: pgsql-novice

Ok, the basic question: does anyone have any approximate string matching
algorithms coded such that PostgreSQL can use it effeciently? I would like
to handle inserts/deletes. I already have a perl and LotusScript (that's
for Domino) implementation but I haven't ever been able to get the perl
module to install right with PostgreSQL.

If it comes down to it I may just do the thing as a C function and return
the code to this list. The problem with that is I'm a shaky C programmer
so more experienced folks would need to ensure that I'm not doing
something dodgy. Largely I'm just asking around before I go do it. I
didn't see anything about this on the list achives.

Wu-Manber k-differences: it's an algorithm that measures how many edits
are required to turn one string into another. k is the number of edits.
This is also known as the Levenschtein distance. I'm getting this from the
Perl Algorithm book.

Joshua b. Jore

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Joshua,
> > Has anyone seen a PostgreSQL available approximate string matching
> > function? I just finished implementing a Wu-Manber k-differences
> >  function
> > for Domino and PL/pgSQL doesn't seem powerful enough to handle the
> >  job.
> Err, no offense, but .... English, please?
> -Josh
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (OpenBSD)
Comment: For info see