Re: Multiple Servers

From: "C(dot) Bensend" <benny(at)bennyvision(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Multiple Servers
Date: 2001-08-21 01:48:44
Lists: pgsql-admin

Sorry for the interruption into this discussion, but it
is very similar to the question I posted two weeks ago
(http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1027722).

I have since revised my ideas of how my databases should
be set up, ie:

* Users need to have superuser access to their OWN
databases
* Users should not have the ability to create users
or databases
* Users _need_ to be able to create tables, modify
tables, drop tables, etc

I hope that I don't need to run multiple postmasters to get
this done, as the DB machine is .. well .. needing some hardware
upgrades.

My own [twisted, non-programmer] logic tells me that I should
be able to create a database, add a user, and grant all on
<database> for that specific user. But, my SQL abilities are
almost nil, and when I try to grant such things on a database,
it denies me (No, I don't recall the error. Yes, I will
duplicate it and provide the _exact_ error). :/

Specifics: PostgreSQL 7.1.2, OpenBSD 2.9 (DB), OpenBSD 2.8 on
the client side.

If anyone can give me some hints on how to do this, I would be
VERY appreciative.

Benny

You see, we're leveraging the synergies of our existing open source
solution, without reliance on a single vendor.
Or in english: We use samba cause NT sucks ass.
--greg(at)rage(dot)net