Re: RangeTblEntry modifications

From: Alex Pilosov <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RangeTblEntry modifications
Date: 2001-06-30 23:29:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Alex Pilosov <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com> writes:
> > 2) Keep one type, but unionize the fields. RTE definition would be:
> > I'm not sure which method is less ugly. I'm leaning towards 2).
>
> I like that better, also, mainly because it would force code updates
> everyplace that the RTE-type-specific fields are accessed; less chance
> of incorrect code getting overlooked that way.

I decided to go first way, it also forces code updates in all the places
(boy there's a lot of them), but actually it forced some cleanup of code.

Instead of checking whether relid is not null or relname is not null, it
now does IsA(rte, RangeTblEntryRelation). Certain functions do take only
RangeTblEntryRelation, and thus its possible to typecheck more, etc.

In parsenodes, I have:

#define RTE_COMMON_FIELDS \
NodeTag type; \
/* \
* Fields valid in all RTEs: \
*/ \
Attr *alias; /* user-written alias clause, if any */ \
Attr *eref; /* expanded reference names */ \
bool inh; /* inheritance requested? */ \
bool inFromCl; /* present in FROM clause */ \
bool checkForRead; /* check rel for read access */ \
bool checkForWrite; /* check rel for write access */ \
Oid checkAsUser; /* if not zero, check access as this user*/ \

typedef struct RangeTblEntry
{
RTE_COMMON_FIELDS
} RangeTblEntry;

typedef struct RangeTblEntryRelation
{
RTE_COMMON_FIELDS
/* Fields valid for a plain relation RTE (else NULL/zero): */
char *relname; /* real name of the relation */
Oid relid; /* OID of the relation */
} RangeTblEntryRelation;

typedef struct RangeTblEntrySubSelect
{
RTE_COMMON_FIELDS
/* Fields valid for a subquery RTE (else NULL) */
Query *subquery; /* the sub-query */
} RangeTblEntrySubSelect;

> Note that some of the comments would be obsolete, eg
>
> > /* Fields valid for a plain relation RTE (else NULL/zero): */
>
> They're not null/0 for a non-relation RTE, they're just not defined at
> all.
Right...

> > struct {
> > /* Fields valid for function-as portal RTE */
> > char *portal;
> > TupleDesc tupleDesc;
> > } func;
>
> I'm not sure I buy this, however. You'll need an actual
> RTE-as-function-call variant that has the function OID and compiled list
> of arguments. Remember that the parsetree may live a lot longer than
> any specific Portal. For a function call, we'll need to build the
> Portal from the function-call-describing RTE at the start of execution,
> not during parsing.
Yes, this is only a first try, just trying to get parser to work straight.
I may need to add more fields.

> This point may also make "select from cursor" rather harder than it
> appears at first glance. You may want to back off on that part for now.
It is harder than I anticipated ;)

Unfortunately (fortunately?) I decided to do 'select from cursor foo'
first. (I hope you don't mind this syntax, it forces user to explicitly
choose that he's accessing cursor).

This will get me where I need to be, if a function returns a refcursor, I
can do following:

declare foo cursor for func()

select * from cursor foo;

Thank you so much for the help, Tom.