relation ### modified while in use

From: Alex Pilosov <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: relation ### modified while in use
Date: 2000-10-23 01:32:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm having the error 'relation <number> modified while in use' fairly
often. It is the same relation that's always giving a problem. Usually
after all currently-running backends die away with that error, error
disappears. If I shutdown, ipcclean, start up postgres, it also
disappears.

What causes this? I'm having a feeling that it has to do with referential
integrity (the table in question is referenced by almost every other
table), and with [possibly] a leak of reference counts?

This is all with pg7.0.2 on i386.

-alex