Re: mac.c

From: Alex Pilosov <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: mac.c
Date: 2000-07-27 04:11:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers
It'd be nice (tm). I am using mac address types now, and certainly going
to be upset if they just disappear in next postgres version :P)

However, this is definitely a contrib feature, not a core postgres item.

Probably the macaddr type should be also moved to that contrib directory.

I suggest that the contrib would include a query that creates mac_manuf
table and a 'macaddr_manuf(macaddr) returns varchar' function which would
do a 'select name from mac_manuf m where m.mac=mac_trunc(macaddr)' and a
'mac_trunc(macaddr) returns macaddr' which would set the 3 lowest-order
nibbles to 0.

(I don't think macmanufacturer deserves a separate type).

-alex