binary data & LOBs

From: Alex Pilosov <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: binary data & LOBs
Date: 2000-03-04 08:00:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Am I correct in impression that the only way you can store binary data
(meaning data that could have all control characters including \0 in it)
is using Large Objects interface? I have tried bytea and text, both
truncate string on receipt of \0...

Also, what's physical storage size of a LOB? Does it always occupy entire
page? Or they are bunched together in rows?

I'm storing mostly small (<4096 bytes) strings but they are all binary.
I'd like to know what's the best way to do that.

Thanks
-alex