FileMakerPro to postgreSQL

From: brew(at)theMode(dot)com
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: FileMakerPro to postgreSQL
Date: 2006-09-18 01:42:40
Lists: pgsql-general

I have to update a database system and need some advice.

Most of the database work I've done up to now has been databased backed
websites, using perl and/or php to connect to mSQL, mySQL, or postgreSQL.

One job that I inherited a few years ago was actually two separate
databases, one an in-office FileMakerPro database client/server system and
the other their website. They entered the data separately into each. At
that time they didn't want to make any changes to the FileMakerPro system
already in place, so I wrote a bridge between the two. Basically the FMP
database FTPs the data overnight to the web server and a perl script
checks and ingests the data into the website mySQL database.

Over the years their business has grown, they've been adding to their FMP
database system and I've been adding features to the website. Now I've
got the opportunity to convert to a single database. (Of course, I favor
postgreSQL or I wouldn't be writing this here!)

I found FMPmigrator, a program that appears to do the conversion from FMP
to any popular database (including postgreSQL) which appears quite
promising. The largest table is only now approaching 100,000 rows; It's
not a very big database, but it does contain jpgs.

My biggest concern is the existing FileMakerPro clients. How much work
would it be to connect the existing FMP clients to the postgreSQL database
using ODBC? Is this a viable temporary step or could it be permanent?

If they decide to go forward with this I'll talk to the FMPmigrator
people, but I thought I'd just float this out on the list and see what
other ways exist that I haven't thought of.

Anybody know of a great book for me to learn more about database
client/server architecture? Besides perl and php I also know C and basic,
although I haven't used those in a while, and I've fooled around with
java, so I won't totally rule out writing new client software. Also, I've
read here that using access might be a good quick choice. But if I could
use the existing FileMakerPro clients that might be fastest, eh?

brew

Strange Brew (brew(at)theMode(dot)com)
Check out my Stock Option Covered Call website http://www.callpix.com
and my Musician's Online Database Exchange http://www.TheMode.com