Re: Securing PHP scripts

From: brew(at)theMode(dot)com
To: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Securing PHP scripts
Date: 2003-08-19 02:54:34
Lists: pgsql-php

Cody.....

> Now to connect to the DB via PHP, I have the password hard coded (which is in clear text).
>
> Here is my question: Is there a way around storing the password in clear text?

But no user can ever read that clear text, right? They should only get
the PHP script output which normally wouldn't contain the user name and
password.....

There can be a danger of other users on the machine being able see the
clear text password if it's a shared machine and if they are able to read
the script, though!

Of course that didn't answer your question...... maybe somebody else knows
a way around storing it in clear text.

BTW, for the best security you should be sure and run PHP with
register_globals off in the php.ini config file, read about it at

http://us4.php.net/register_globals

Sorry if I'm telling you a bunch of stuff you already know anyway.......

brew