Capping CPU usage?

From: brew(at)theMode(dot)com
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Capping CPU usage?
Date: 2002-12-13 13:27:19
Lists: pgsql-performance

Josh.....

> I had a new question from a client: is it possible to "cap" CPU usage
> for PostgreSQL running on Linux?

I remember reading a few months ago about a virtual freebsd OS that
divides the memory and cpu up between different users. Although this is
not Linux proper (or improper) it is one way of doing it. I searched for
a few minutes and was unable to find the url, it was something like
virtualFreeBSD.org.

I've been running on a virtual FreeBSD server for years from iserver, now
verio. Each user has their own apache conf, sendmail, etc. and they claim
to divide up memory and cpu usage. I am not sure if virtualFreeBSD is the
same or different product and whether it would be useful for you, but it's
something to consider.

brew