refusing connections based on load ...

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: refusing connections based on load ...
Date: 2001-04-23 18:09:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Anyone thought of implementing this, similar to how sendmail does it?  If
load > n, refuse connections?

Basically, if great to set max clients to 256, but if load hits 50 as a
result, the database is near to useless ... if you set it to 256, and 254
idle connections are going, load won't rise much, so is safe, but if half
of those processes are active, it hurts ...

so, if it was set so that a .conf variable could be set so that max
connection == 256 *or* load > n to refuse connections, you'd hvae best of
both worlds ...

sendmail does it now, and, apparently relatively portable across OSs ...
okay, just looked at the code, and its kinda painful, but its in
src/conf.c, as a 'getla' function ...

If nobody is working on something like this, does anyone but me feel that
it has merit to make use of?  I'll play with it if so ...

Next:From: Jan WieckDate: 2001-04-23 18:15:02