Re: Current CVS in a bad state?

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Current CVS in a bad state?
Date: 2001-04-20 18:08:39
Lists: pgsql-committers

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Peter T Mount wrote:

> Quoting Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>:
>
> > Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk> writes:
> > > Hmmm, I've just checked out the current cvs, and the directory:
> > > src/interfaces/jdbc/postgresql
> > > has reappeared. This was deleted quite a few months ago and is
> > > obsolete.
> >
> > Did you use -P during the checkout?
>
> No, but then the last time I did this (about a month ago) I didn't then either.
>
> As I just said to Marc, I remember the directory being deleted on the server
> side after I had done a cvs delete.

don't scare me like that, eh? :) nothing should ever be 'physically'
removed:

hub# du
19 ./fastpath/Attic
20 ./fastpath
197 ./jdbc1/Attic
198 ./jdbc1
27 ./geometric/Attic
28 ./geometric
19 ./largeobject/Attic
20 ./largeobject
58 ./util/Attic
59 ./util
220 ./jdbc2/Attic
221 ./jdbc2
489 ./Attic
1036 .

but you have to use the -P option if you don't want to see 'deleted' files

I always run either:

cvs checkout -P <module>

or

cvs update -APd <module>

I think -A removes teh sticky bit, so if you are working on an older
release, don't use -A :)