Re: [HACKERS] Re: [ADMIN] User administration tool

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Jan T(dot) Kim" <kim(at)inb(dot)mu-luebeck(dot)de>, <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [ADMIN] User administration tool
Date: 2001-03-30 19:44:23
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

<moved to -interfaces, where it belongs ... >

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Wow, I see. I never suspected it did that too. :-) Seems I don't need
> > > to write anything, except perhaps add group capabilities to pgaccess.
> >
> > Isn't phpPgAdmin yet another tool of this type? I haven't tried it myself,
> > (no need, myself being the only user...) but the web page
> > (http://www.greatbridge.org/project/phppgadmin/projdisplay.php) says:
>
> Yes, it is. Some people prefer a non-web interaface.

I could understand this sentiment if you were doing something from the
command line, but if you are doing an interface in tcl/tk, I think a web
interface fairs better ...

tcl/tk, you have to be on the same machine or risk "network problems"
losing your link ... web, its a stateless connection, so each time you do
something, it re-establishes the connection and performs the operation ...

IMHO, a web interface will always be appropriate in a network environment,
unless you have the luxury of sitting on the same machine you are running
the X app (tcl/tk) on ... *shrug*