Re: Re: bugs - lets call an exterminator!

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: "Colin 't Hart" <cthart(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: bugs - lets call an exterminator!
Date: 2001-08-23 10:18:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Colin 't Hart wrote:

> Vince asks:
>
> > Everybody keeps saying bugzilla.  What EXACTLY will bugzilla do for us
> > that would make me want to learn it and install it?  BTW, the current
> > wheel was invented a year ago 'cuze nothing really fit what we needed.
>
> The reasons I would choose Bugzilla:
>
> 1. It's *not* written by us so (in theory) we don't have to waste time
> developing yet another bug tracking solution.

What we have is already developed and refining it isn't a problem.

> 2. It sends email to people involved with a bug whenever the detail
> associated with that bug is modified. This includes the reporter, who
> often will feedback that it now works, at which time the fixer or the
> reporter can mark the bug as fixed.

What we have already does this, but noone was using it.

> 3. It complains when a NEW bug hasn't been looked at for /n/ days --
> this means that any not-a-bug's will be closed, while any that are
> really bugs will be accepted.

This would piss off the developers.

> 4. Good query facilities, if a little complex to use.

Please elaborate.

> 5. I think Bugzilla's concepts of products, components and versions fit
> the way we work.
> I envisage that 'Postgres', 'Interfaces', 'Languages' might be products
> that we would have.
> Within 'Postgres' we would have the various subsystems that make up the
> core.
> Within 'Interfaces' we would have 'JDBC', 'ODBC' etc.
> Within 'Languages' we would have 'PL/pgSQL' etc.

I can see a little benefit to this, but for the most part the same
people that are working on the core pieces of PostgreSQL are also
working on the interfaces and languages.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com    http://www.pop4.net