Re: 404 Error on Documentation Page

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 404 Error on Documentation Page
Date: 2001-02-14 21:18:54
Lists: pgsql-docs
On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Steve McAtee writes:
> >
> > > I was doing a search for "connections" in postgresql.org.  The search page
> > > directed me to this link:
> > > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/programmer/x6686.htm
> > >
> > > Which informed me of a 404 and to email you.
> >
> > These 404 mails are certainly making me more empathetic for Vince, but
> > what the heck are we supposed to do about it?  The vast majority of these
> > should be forwarded to search-engine-operator(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)

At least now everyone can see how seemingly innocent changes can cause
some real problems.  :)

> I fixed the backend flowchart error (use of relative link), but am
> unsure about the others.  I think this is someone complaining because we
> removed the documentation from /docs.  Remember that person who was
> looking at the old documentation stuck in /docs a while back?  I bet
> this is someone's bookmark or old mirror.

Remember Tom Lane said he removed the number type filenames from the docs.
Many of the things that disappeared when /docs went away I fixed with
links into 7.0's docs, but there are no number type filenames anywhere
in any of the docsets.

> Do we have old indexes still pointing to the docs we removed?  Maybe.

see above.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com    http://www.pop4.net
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking