Re: Changing the HTML file extension

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Changing the HTML file extension
Date: 2001-02-11 23:43:04
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Since I'm writing a custom stylesheet for the docs anyway, we could change
> the extension of the HTML files from .htm to .html. This will probably
> break a lot of bookmarks, so I thought I'd ask. OTOH, "deep" bookmarks
> into the current docs may become obsolete for a variety of other reasons
> anyway.

Any name changes will affect:

1) FAQ pointers into the docs
2) Web page pointers into the docs
3) Bookmarks
4) Search engine tables

If this is done, the search tables will need to be flushed of old links.
Marc was trying to do it the other day but I don't know how successful
he was on clearing out /docs. /devel-corner/docs will also have to be
done if he was successful. From a conversation I had with Peter yesterday
I agree that it's probably a bad idea to even allow /devel-corner/docs
into the search engine's tables - besides the fact that they change alot
between versions and old ones don't seem to flush.

FAQ pointers should also never point inside development docs (or any
docs for all that matter if they stand a chance of changing at all).

Bookmarks. Many users will bookmark parts of the docs. While it's not
a good idea to bookmark development docs it's still done. I don't think
there's alot we can do about that.

Web pages that point inside the docs. We have some web pages that have
been done and are maintained by folks other than me. Those folks will
need to make sure none of theirs point inside the devel docs. The home
page points to the devel docs index - I can repoint things when necessary
but that probably won't happen till sometime mid next week.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com http://www.pop4.net
128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com
Online Giftshop Superstore http://www.cloudninegifts.com