Re: Reference manual

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reference manual
Date: 2001-02-09 20:27:37
Lists: pgsql-docs
On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber writes:
>
> > > But you don't claim that the listing at
> > >
> > > http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/#7.0
> > >
> > > has any additional content whatsoever, do you?
> >
> > Yes, it tells you exactly what you're going to get when you click
> > on it.
>
> Maybe we're not talking about the same thing here.  The current docs have,
> for example, a link "PostgreSQL 7.1 User's Guide".  To me that says that
> when I click on it I get to read the User's Guide for PostgreSQL 7.1.
>
> In the user's lounge I have links along the lines of "Read the User's
> Guide online".  That tells me the same thing.

It may tell it, but it doesn't say it and you were just commenting about
that the other day.   However like I said in my last note the format that
you had on that page in your directory looks alot better.

> > Can't use includes.  Can't use PHP.  Can't hard code it into the docs.
> > Can't use a bunch of things.  We have mirrors.   I'd love to redo it in
> > PHP and serve up the content dynamically but that ain't gonna happen any
> > time soon.
>
> I wasn't talking about server-side includes.  Don't you have template file
> fragments that you use when you create a new file on the web site?  These
> could be inserted into the documentation files automatically when they are
> *created*.  What do you mean with "can't hardcode" if you don't generate
> things dynamically?

I have no desire or intention to rebuild the docs (past and present) any
time a change is made to the website's look and feel.  They aren't rebuilt
every nite automatically like the devel docs are.

So why the sudden desire to change things?

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com    http://www.pop4.net
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking