Re: Can PostGreSQL handle 100 user database - more info

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: <martin(dot)chantler(at)convergys(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can PostGreSQL handle 100 user database - more info
Date: 2000-11-30 16:20:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 martin(dot)chantler(at)convergys(dot)com wrote:

> Thanks for responding,
>
> I suppose what I was really asking is if PostGreSQL works 'as good' as
> other databases like Oracle. The rumour I heard implied that I would have
> problems trying to run PostGreSQL with a lot of clients
>
> As for the queries:
> I have a 6000 record customer file and a bigger file containing orders
> The VB programs randomly retrieved records with a like clause on the first
> letter of the customer name
> E.G. B%, F%, Z%. This SQL also had a join to the order file and returned a few
> hundered records at a time
> The slow SQL I entered simply returned the MAX value for a column in the order
> file. This did seem to lock things
> down, perhaps p-sql was just being cautious or maybe it just slowed everything
> down quite a lot?

Take a look here for a recent comparison. This is page three of the
article and shows graphs for concurrent users and performance.

http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20001112.php3?page=3

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com http://www.pop4.net
128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com
Online Giftshop Superstore http://www.cloudninegifts.com