Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/contrib/pg_dumpaccounts (Makefile README pg_dumpaccounts.sh)

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ned Lilly <ned(at)greatbridge(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/contrib/pg_dumpaccounts (Makefile README pg_dumpaccounts.sh)
Date: 2000-11-02 20:30:17
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > I understand everyone's hesitation about adding a new utility this late
> > in the process - and we're happy to be overruled on that (even if it's a
> > discrete piece of code that wouldn't affect anything else...) I'm not
> > wild about putting it in /contrib, but if that's what everyone wants to
> > do, ok.
> >
> > Have we adequately explained the need for this? Or do people think it's
> > not necessary?
> >
> > If it *is* necessary (or at least worthwhile), is it the consensus of
> > the -hackers community that it go in /contrib?
>
> Since it is a never-before-asked-for new feature appearing in a minor
> release, and it is probably going away in 7.1, it is lucky to be getting
> into /contrib. :-)
>
> There is a good argument that it shouldn't be in 7.0.3 at all, and we
> need the opinion of the hackers group to come to a consensus.

I think /contrib is the proper place for it no matter when it shows up.
Whether it's a patch release or major release, it's not like it's an
addition that's changing the course of giant rivers or anything like that.
It's a simple tool that fills a void. Looking at the other stuff that's
already in contrib I don't see what all the hoopla's about.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com http://www.pop4.net
128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com
Online Giftshop Superstore http://www.cloudninegifts.com