the docs, and newbies.

From: Jeff MacDonald <jeff(at)hub(dot)org>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: the docs, and newbies.
Date: 2000-11-04 20:24:57
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hi,

Yesterday, here at Pg.Inc I got a call from a prospective user
about the documentation of Postgres. Particulary the install
docs.

The user brought up some points, that I always took for granted
as "an experienced" unix user. Such as when it said "create a
superuser for postgresql" ..

I know the first time i read this part of the docs i thought
to myself .. hrmm do they mean auser with root privileges, but
a different name, or just an ordinary user to do postgres stuff ?

However the user said that to completly new users of [u | li]nux
even adding a new user is something that not everyone wants.

he said, that alot of people want to just be able to get a database
running, and be able to do sql.. and not deal with the "system" as much.

in my mind.. i can justify to my self "that's just not the way unix works"

but to alot of people out there that don't have propeller hats like
us.. it's not the way they expect htings to work.

just wondering if there is any thoughts people have to make the install
directions more appealing to "get people in" but at the same time
experienced UNIX users can just ignore certain parts of the docs..

ok well that was long winded..

Jeff MacDonald,

PostgreSQL Inc | Hub.Org Networking Services
jeff(at)pgsql(dot)com | jeff(at)hub(dot)org
www.pgsql.com | www.hub.org
1-902-542-0713 | 1-902-542-3657
Facsimile : 1 902 542 5386
IRC Nick : bignose