Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/contrib/pg_dumpaccounts (Makefile README pg_dumpaccounts.sh)

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Ned Lilly <ned(at)greatbridge(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/contrib/pg_dumpaccounts (Makefile README pg_dumpaccounts.sh)
Date: 2000-11-03 00:29:52
Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Ned Lilly wrote:

> We recognize this is a temporary hack - and fully expect it to go away
> in 7.1 We actually think that the final solution might be more
> appropriate in pg_dump itself than pg_dumpall, but that's obviously a
> much more breakable proposition (hence the separate utility).

Okay, because of this paragraph, and this one only, I will agree with Tom
(and I believe Bruce) that this should be removed.  If, as Peter states,
this could be put into pg_dump in 5 lines, and as you say, it is a
temporary hack, then more appropriate would be to put a link off of the
web site and *not* put it into the source distribution ...

I like what it does, since I can relate to the need to dump user/group
info seperate from everything else, but if a permanent fix is as doable as
Peter states, putting a temporary one, especially into a minor release,
makes little to no sense ...

My vote is to please remove it from the source tree ...

> If it *is* necessary (or at least worthwhile), is it the consensus of
> the -hackers community that it go in /contrib?

Altho this is going to force me to agree with Tom concerning Karel's
patch, it should not be added to the 7.0.x branch *at all* ... 7.0.x is a
*patch* release, new features are for 7.1 and 7.1 only ...